Theatre Under the Stars

Recognized as one of the nation’s leading non-profit theatre companies, Theatre Under The Stars has been providing Houston with world-class musical theatre for 52 years.

Beyond The Stage

The reach of Theatre Under The Stars goes far beyond the stage. TUTS uses the art of musical theatre to enrich the lives of Houstonians. We are training the next generation of theatre professionals and community leaders in our schools, and we host the annual Tommy Tune Awards to celebrate musical theatre programs in high schools across the greater Houston area. We connect with our audiences through behind-the-scenes events that are free to the public, and we provide arts education in the community that is accessible to everyone.

During this unprecedented global crisis, we are still here working with our student and community partners, and preparing to return to the stage.The curtain will rise again! We will be a space of healing for our city, telling stories that uplift and inspire. We will sing. We will dance. We will applaud as one. Together, we will experience the resilient power of community and shared experiences.

Support Local Arts

You may think of musical theatre as mere entertainment — something fun to do with your friends on a Friday night. What you might not know is that the arts generate $1.2 Billion in Houston and provide over 25,000 jobs.*

Most of our productions are created exclusively for Houston audiences, in order to support a vibrant local arts community. Over the past year alone, TUTS has employed 1,033 artists, musicians, stagehands, costumers, community teachers, photographers, designers, and administrative staff. Over 85% of these theatre professionals live right here in Houston. By making a donation to TUTS today, you’re not only supporting the organization, you’re also contributing to our ability to make Houston a viable home for theatre artists, allowing them to share their gifts directly with our community.

The Impact of Your Gift

In a normal season, revenue from ticket sales makes up only 60 percent of the annual budget for TUTS. The remaining 40 percent comes from generous arts supporters like you.

The impact of the cancellations from the coronavirus crisis represent losses of $1.975 million in revenue for our theatrical productions at the Hobby Center and an additional $2.6 million in lost philanthropic support – for a staggering total loss of $4.6 million.

Your tax-deductible donation today allows us to plan for the future, so that the curtain can rise again.

The Benefit of Giving Now

Not only is supporting arts organizations more important than ever, thanks to the Economic Relief Bill, there is now an additional tax benefit for making a donation today.

Taxpayers can claim up to $300 in cash contributions made to a nonprofit charity, thereby ultimately reducing their taxable income, provided they take a standard deduction on their 2020 tax return.**

Questions? Please contact Andrea Romero at or at 713-558-2651.

Theatre Under Stars is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible as allowable by law.

*According to a recent Houston Public Media feature.
**According to a recent Business Insider article.