teen apprentice program 2023/24
(Open to Academy and Non-Academy Students)
Open to students interested in technical areas of the industry, this program will meet monthly for professional industry engagements in areas such as light design, scenic design, sound design, stage management, company management, casting, costume design, directing, and more. Additionally, each accepted student will have the opportunity for mentorship by an industry professional at TUTS. Applications will be available August 30th, 2023.
- Wednesday, August 30, 2023: Teen Apprentice Applications Open
- Friday, September 15, 2023: Teen Apprentice Applications Closed
- Wednesday, September 20, 2023: Teen Apprentices Announced
- Monday, September 25, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #1 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, October 23, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #2 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, November 27, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #3 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, December 18, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #4/Holiday Party (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, January 22, 2024: Teen Apprentice Meeting #5 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, February 19, 2024: Teen Apprentice Meeting #6 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, March 25, 2024: Teen Apprentice Meeting #7 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, April 29, 2024: Teen Apprentice Meeting #8 (6:30-8:30p.m.)
- Monday, May 13, 2024: Teen Apprentice Meeting #9/Final Meeting (6:30-8:30p.m.)
Apply to be a teen apprentice HERE.
The TUTS Spotlight Series began in 2018 as a free event that takes you behind the scenes of our productions. During the 22/23 season, the Spotlight Series will offer a chance for Houston audiences to get an insider’s perspective on what it takes to produce a musical. Post-performance conversations with members of TUTS cast and creative teams will provide unique opportunities to get a sneak peek behind the curtain.
- Jagged Little Pill: Wednesday, September 6, 2023
- Sweeney Todd: Wednesday, October 25, 2023
- Roger & Hammerstein’s Cinderella: Wednesday, December 13, 2023
- On Your Feet: Wednesday, February 7, 2024
- The Cher Show: Wednesday, April 24, 2024
- Disney’s Newsies: Wednesday, May 29, 2024
TOMMY TUNE AWARDS
The Tommy Tune Awards (TTA) Program celebrates the educational value, artistry and community of high school musical theatre in the Greater Houston Area.
Education: No matter the role in the creative process, experiences in the arts cultivate confidence, spark creative thinking, and inspire life-long learning.
Artistry: The arts are a safe haven for exploration, reflection, and innovation. TTA is as an opportunity for students and educators to share their creative accomplishments as individuals, collaborators and members of the greater Houston community.
Community: We believe in the power of learning, collaborating, and growing together. As we celebrate shared experiences of this transformative artform, we as an artistic and educational community enhance the future of our students, our art, and our city.
Houston area high schools produce a full-length musical that is adjudicated by a team of volunteer Mentors – professional Houston-based music/theatre artists. This adjudication process runs October through March with top scorers receiving nominations throughout the season. Top nominated students and schools are invited to a rigorous rehearsal period at The Hobby Center in preparation for the Tommy Tune Awards Ceremony on May 4, 2022. This ceremony celebrates the achievement of the high school musical theatre community throughout the Greater Houston Area. For more information click here.
ARTS IN MEDICINE
The Arts in Medicine Program is a collaboration of the preeminent Child Life and Expressive Therapies team at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital (CMHH). and Dedicated and experienced TUTS Teaching Artists make weekly visits to CMHH, helping to help patients to cope with their hospitalization experience the hospital in a positive manner. The use of music, language, dance, art and mime provide pediatric patients a break from their daily medical routines and open the doors to opportunities for creativity and fun. The Arts in Medicine program not only supports the children. It also focuses on the needs and well-being of their families. Additionally, the program will offer resiliency workshops for doctors and nurses to enhance their ability to communicate effectively and compassionately with their patients.