Theatre Under the Stars
teen apprentice program 2022/23
(Open to Academy and Non-Academy Students)
Open to students interested in technical areas of the industry, this program will meet monthly for professional industry engagements in areas such as light design, scenic design, sound design, stage management, company management, casting, costume design, directing, and more. Additionally, each accepted student will have the opportunity for mentorship by an industry professional at TUTS. Applications will be available August 29th, 2022. CLICK HERE for a tentative program schedule.
- Monday, August 29, 2022: Teen Apprentice Applications Open
- Friday, September 16, 2022: Teen Apprentice Applications Closed
- Wednesday, September 21, 2022: Teen Apprentices Announced
- Monday, September 26, 2022: Teen Apprentice Meeting #1 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, October 24, 2022: Teen Apprentice Meeting #2 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, November 28, 2022: Teen Apprentice Meeting #3 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, December 19, 2022: Teen Apprentice Meeting #4 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, January 23, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #5 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, February 20, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #6 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, March 27, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #7 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, April 17, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #8 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Monday, May 8, 2023: Teen Apprentice Meeting #9 (5 – 7 p.m.)
Apply to be a teen apprentice HERE
The TUTS Spotlight Series began in 2018 as a free event that takes you behind the scenes of our productions. During the 22/23 season, the Spotlight Series will offer a chance for Houston audiences to get an insider’s perspective on what it takes to produce a musical. Post-performance conversations with members of TUTS cast and creative teams will provide unique opportunities to get a sneak peek behind the curtain.
- November 2: Spotlight Series Talkback: The Secret of My Success
- December 14: Spotlight Series Talkback: Mary Poppins
- February 1: Spotlight Series Talkback: Chicago
- April 5: Spotlight Series Talkback: Legally Blonde
- May 24: Spotlight Series Talkback: Rent
TOMMY TUNE AWARDS
The Tommy Tune Awards (TTA) Program celebrates the educational value, artistry and community of high school musical theatre in the Greater Houston Area.
Education: No matter the role in the creative process, experiences in the arts cultivate confidence, spark creative thinking, and inspire life-long learning.
Artistry: The arts are a safe haven for exploration, reflection, and innovation. TTA is as an opportunity for students and educators to share their creative accomplishments as individuals, collaborators and members of the greater Houston community.
Community: We believe in the power of learning, collaborating, and growing together. As we celebrate shared experiences of this transformative artform, we as an artistic and educational community enhance the future of our students, our art, and our city.
Houston area high schools produce a full-length musical that is adjudicated by a team of volunteer Mentors – professional Houston-based music/theatre artists. This adjudication process runs October through March with top scorers receiving nominations throughout the season. Top nominated students and schools are invited to a rigorous rehearsal period at The Hobby Center in preparation for the Tommy Tune Awards Ceremony on May 4, 2022. This ceremony celebrates the achievement of the high school musical theatre community throughout the Greater Houston Area. For more information click here.
ARTS IN MEDICINE
The Arts in Medicine Program is a collaboration of the preeminent Child Life and Expressive Therapies team at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital (CMHH). and Dedicated and experienced TUTS Teaching Artists make weekly visits to CMHH, helping to help patients to cope with their hospitalization experience the hospital in a positive manner. The use of music, language, dance, art and mime provide pediatric patients a break from their daily medical routines and open the doors to opportunities for creativity and fun. The Arts in Medicine program not only supports the children. It also focuses on the needs and well-being of their families. Additionally, the program will offer resiliency workshops for doctors and nurses to enhance their ability to communicate effectively and compassionately with their patients.