Theatre Under The Stars welcomes both union and non-union performers to audition for our productions in three locations: Houston, Los Angeles, and New York City. In each city, auditions will be conducted by TUTS’ Artistic Director, Bruce Lumpkin, who will be accompanied by the visiting directors and choreographers of the upcoming productions.
Auditions in all three cities are advertised through Equity hotlines and other publications specific to each locale. The open call in Houston is additionally announced via the StarMail newsletter. Please refrain from calling or emailing in regards to audition scheduling as it will be announced through the aforementioned media.
To achieve diverse and high-caliber productions, TUTS invites and encourages interested performers from all walks of the profession to audition.
All performers over the age of 18 in TUTS productions are compensated.
PERFORMERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 should contact the training wing of Theatre Under The Stars, the Humphreys School of Musical Theatre. For more information on the school’s classes, touring troupes, week- and day-camps, and workshop performances call 713.558.8801.
TUTS regrets we do not have the staff time to review audition submissions sent on video or DVD. All auditions must be seen live and in person within the context of a regular casting call for best comparison of talent and suitability.
TUTS holds daytime and evening rehearsals at least six days a week for a minimum of two and a half weeks prior to the opening of each TUTS production. Rehearsals are 7.5 to 12 hours/day in length.
Location: TUTS Studios—1st Floor of the Arts and Education Building on the Walker Street side of The Hobby Center Complex (800 Bagby Street, Houston, TX 77002).
All Auditionees MUST
1. Be 18 years of age or older
2. Have 8X10 headshot (color or black-and-white accepted) and resume
3. Have 16 bars of music prepared. Please bring sheet music in your appropriate key.
A pianist will be provided at the audition. TUTS does NOT accept taped accompaniment. Please, no a cappella singing.
Oliver Audition Notice
Saturday, February 6
3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Equity Principal Calls (EPA), Equity Chorus Calls (ECC)
7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Open Singer Call (18+ only)
• Have two (2) 16 bar cuts prepared; one upbeat, one ballad. Please be prepared to sing the full song if asked. Please bring sheet music in your appropriate key.
• A pianist will be provided at the audition. TUTS does NOT accept taped accompaniment. Please, no a cappella singing.
• Please bring an 8X10 headshot (color or black-and-white accepted) and resume.
•No appointments will be taken.
Sunday, February 7
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Dance Call
• All dancers must sign in at 10:00 a.m.
• Be prepared to dance in all styles.
• Dancers, please arrive at the start of the dance call and bring appropriate shoes.
3:00pm – 6:00pm Callbacks
First Rehearsal – March 18, 2016
Performance Run – April 5, 2016-April 17, 2016
Heathers Audition Notice
February 20, 2016
10a-2p – EPA/ECC
2p – 3:30 – Open Call
February 21, 2016
7:00pm – 11:00pm – Open Male/Female Dance Call
Have two (2) 16 bar cuts prepared; one upbeat, one ballad. Please be prepared to sing the full song if asked. Please bring sheet music in your appropriate key.
Dancers: Be prepared to dance in all styles.