We’re here to bring more musical theatre to more of Houston—which means we’re happy to take our classes to you, whether you’re at a high school or a hospital.
TUTS offers a vibrant spectrum of creative coursework to encompass the many facets of musical theatre, as well as the many audiences we seek to enrich. CIC programs range from technique-driven training for advanced students to adaptive art classes for students with disabilities. Whatever your school, organization or audience, we can tailor our curriculum to meet your needs. Just let us know what you’re looking for. [insert contact info]
- Performance Workshops: students learn lyrics, choreography and scene excerpts from a Broadway musical. Sign up.
- Master Classes: TUTS instructors offer technique-driven training tailored for voice, acting, choreography, directing or audition skills. Sign up.
- Technical Theatre Master Classes: TUTS’ professional designers teach students the technical components of lighting design, sound design, stage management, set/prop construction, wardrobe and stage make-up. Sign up.
- Artist-in-Residence: TUTS’ directors and choreographers assist with a school’s musical production. Sign up.
- Adaptive Arts Classes: Students with disabilities are taught CORE and Fine Arts subjects through the disciplines of musical theatre. Sign up.
Classroom & In-Service Workshops
We love partnering with fellow educators. TUTS instructors introduce school faculty to innovative training and techniques for incorporating the arts into their teaching methods. Hands-on programming integrates various musical theatre disciplines into math, science and literature to keep classes creative and compelling. Workshops can be facilitated directly at the school or taught as a teacher in-service; TEKS/STAAR guidelines are taken into account. [insert contact info]
- STEM to STEAM Programs
- Math in Musical Melodies: students develop creative ways to turn simple equations into memorable melodies.
- Periodic Table Dating Game: students learn about the scientific elements and “compatibility” through a fun workshop modeled after The Dating Game show.
- The AH-HA Programs (Astounding, Humanities, History and Arts Programming):
- The LIT Experience: students act, sing and write their way to a better understanding of a piece of literature.
- STAAR Drama: to help them meet new STAAR testing requirements, seventh- and eighth-graders learn to better navigate character and plot development when reading plays.
- Fine Arts Instructors: TUTS professionals provide Fine Arts instructors with educational tools to enhance their classroom experience through musical theatre.
- CORE Subject Instructors: CORE subject instructors learn creative ways to integrate the arts by adding musical theatre disciplines into their curriculum.
Beyond the Classroom
We’re of the mindset that learning—and learning to love—musical theatre can happen anywhere… while rehearsing routines after school in a cafeteria. Belting out Broadway from a hospital bed. Or exploring elaborate sets and costumery on a backstage tour. That’s why TUTS’ educational programs extend beyond the classroom and into wherever students are waiting for a fun creative outlet.
- After-School Sessions: a multi-week program where students engage in singing, dancing and acting while working to create a musical theatre presentation.
- Medical Programs: TUTS’ professionals work with medical staff to provide pediatric patients in hospitals and treatment centers the opportunity to explore their creativity through musical theatre.
- Theatre Field Trips: two-hour field trips where students learn Broadway choreography and take an in-depth backstage tour of TUTS’ main stage theatre.