Theatre Under the Stars
Tommy Tune Awards
ANNOUNCING THE TOMMY TUNE AWARDS PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS FOR 2023!
Welcome to all of the participating schools for the 2023 Tommy Tune Awards. We can’t wait to see the magic you’ll make this year!
Atascocita High School
B.F. Terry High School
Bridgeland High School
C.E. King High School
Clear Creek High School
Clear Falls High School
Clear Springs High School
Concordia Lutheran High School
Cypress Park High School
Cypress Ranch High School
Cypress Woods High School
Dickinson High School
Dulles High School
Friendswood High School
G.W. Carver Magnet High School
Houston Christian High School
James E. Taylor High School
Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
Kingwood High School
Klein Cain High school
Klein Collins High School
Klein Forest High School Drama
Klein High School
Klein Oak High School
L.V. Hightower High School
Memorial Senior High School
Montgomery High School
Northland Christian School
Pearland High School
Porter High School
Ridge Point High School
Sealy High School
Second Baptist School
Seven Lakes High School
Shadow Creek High School
South Houston High School
Spring High School
Spring Woods High School
St. Agnes Academy
St. Francis Episcopal School – Houston
St. Pius X High School
Summer Creek High School
The Emery/Weiner School
The Kinkaid School
Thomas Randle High School
William B. Travis High School
Theatre Under The Stars, Houston’s non-profit home for musical theatre, is dedicated to enriching lives through innovative musical theatre, inclusive educational curriculums and dynamic community engagement.
- WE ARE ENGAGING
- WE ARE INCLUSIVE
- WE ARE COLLABORATIVE
- WE ARE RESILIENT
- WE ARE TRANSPARENT
- WE ARE INSPIRED
TOMMY TUNE AWARDS
The Tommy Tune Awards (TTA) Program celebrates the educational value, artistry and community of high school musical theatre in the Greater Houston Area.
Education: No matter the role in the creative process, experiences in the arts cultivate confidence, spark creative thinking, and inspire life-long learning.
Artistry: The arts are a safe haven for exploration, reflection, and innovation. TTA is as an opportunity for students and educators to share their creative accomplishments as individuals, collaborators and members of the greater Houston community.
Community: We believe in the power of learning, collaborating, and growing together. As we celebrate shared experiences of this transformative artform, we as an artistic and educational community enhance the future of our students, our art, and our city.
Houston area high schools produce a full-length musical to compete in over 15 TTA categories. Each school is adjudicated by a team of volunteer Mentors, professional Houston-based music/theatre artists, based on a 100-point scale rubric. This process runs October to March with top scorers receiving nominations (announced mid-March). Finally, after a rehearsal period involving TTA nominees along with two student representatives from each school, a virtual awards show will be presented to the community in celebration of the participant’s artistic accomplishments.
- Monday, October 3, 2022: Tommy Tune Award Adjudication Starts
- Wednesday, February 22, 2023: Tommy Tune Awards School Director’s Meeting #2
- Sunday, April 3, 2023: Tommy Tune Award Adjudication Closes
- Friday, April 7, 2023: Tommy Tune Award Finalists Announced
- Friday, April 14, 2023: Tommy Tune Award Information Due
- Monday, April 24, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (5-9 p.m.)
- Tuesday, April 25, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (5-9 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 26, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (5-9 p.m.)
- Thursday, April 27, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (5-9 p.m.)
- Friday, April 28, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (5-9 p.m.)
- Saturday, April 29, 2023: Tommy Tune Rehearsals (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023: Tommy Tune Tech #1
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023: Tommy Tune Tech #2
- Thursday, May 4, 2023: Tommy Tune Ceremony
TTA MASTERCLASS SERIES
Throughout the year, masterclass opportunities with Theatre Under The Stars mainstage productions will be offered for students participating in Tommy Tune Awards. These masterclasses will vary in genre depending on show and artist availability. Participating students will be selected at the discretion of each school’s directors.
- Friday, September 30th, 2022: TTA Masterclass Series #1 (5-6 p.m.)
- Friday, November 4th, 2022: TTA Masterclass Series #2 (5-6 p.m.)
- Friday, February 10th, 2023: TTA Masterclass Series #3 (5-6 p.m.)
- Friday, April 14th, 2023: TTA Masterclass Series #4 (5-6 p.m.)
More masterclasses may become available throughout the year.
Theatre Under The Stars acts as the administrative body of the Tommy Tune Awards, coordinating school and adjudicating schedules, facilitating the scholarship award process, and producing the awards show.